Alva (Alvie) Robert Underwood answered the call to the colors in August 1917. After a period of training at Camp Sevier, SC, as a member of the 177th Infantry, 30th Division sailed for France in May 1918. Participated in all engagements of his command until he was killed. Died of wounds received in action on 4 October 1918.
Pvt Underwood was initially buried at Cemetery 51-A in France. He was the son of John Underwood and Sarah Caroline Reed.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 29 October 1896
- Date of death: 4 October 1918
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company M, 120th Infantry Regiment, 30th Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Burial/Memorial Location: Knoxville National Cemetery, Knoxville, Knox County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IV, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Alvie Underwood
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.