Antie Emmanuel Souder was born on 13 March 1921, at Raleigh, West Virginia, the son of Jahu Franklin Souder and Dossie Missouri Foley.
He died 31 October 1944 in the Battle of Peleliu, Palau Islands
Buried at Happy Valley Memorial Park, Elizabethton, TN
Private First Class
323rd Infantry Regiment, 81st Infantry Division, Company K
The Elizabethton Star, October 17, 1948
Funeral service for Private First Class Antie E. Souder, 23, whose body arrived in Johnson City will be conducted at the Cavalry Baptist Church. Burial will be in the Happy Valley Memorial Park.
Private First Class Souder entered service November 30, 1942 in Roanoke, Virginia and received basic training with the 81st “Wildcat” Division, Company “K” of the 323rd Infantry at Camp Rucker, Alabama, Camp Horne, Arizona, Camp San Luis Obisno, California and at Camp Beal, California. He was shipped overseas in July, 1944 and landed on the Angora Islands. He was then sent to the Peleliu Islands of the Palau group where he was killed in action on October 31, 1944. He received the Purple Heart and the Combat Infantryman Medals. He attended Junior High School and the Cranberry High School in Cranberry, N.C. At the time of his enlistment, he was employed by the Hercules Powder Plants at Radford, Virginia. Survivors are his mother, Mrs. B.F. Byrd of Maben, West Virginia; one sister, Mrs. A.R. Fisher of Johnson City; and six brothers, John, Noah, Charles and Rooy, all of Elizabethton; Germany of Bluff City and Bill of Detroit, Michigan.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 13 March 1921
- Date of death: 31 October 1944
- County: Carter
- Hometown: Elizabethton
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 323rd Infantry Regiment, 81st Infantry Division
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Battle of Peleliu
- Awards: Purple Heart, Combat Infantryman Medal
- Burial/Memorial Location: Happy Valley Memorial Park, Elizabethton, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Antie E. Souder
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.