Arnold J. Hyde was the son of Marion Walter and Tina Miller Hyde. He was born in 1914 and raised on the family farm in Jefferson County. During World War II, his parents and brothers, Taylor, Charles, James, W.K., and Cecil Hyde moved to the community of Tranquility near Athens, Tennessee
Arnold enlisted in the US Army on April 21, 1941 at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia. He was promoted to the rank of Technician Fourth Class with the 813 Tank Battalion.
He was killed in action on January 7, 1945 in France. Tec4 Arnold J. Hyde is buried at Epinal American Cemetery and Memorial in Epinal, Vosges, Lorraine Region, France.
Arnold was awarded the Silver Star and Purple Heart for gallantry in action.
Tragedy would come to the Hyde family again as his brother, James Henry Hyde, was killed in the Korean War on December 30, 1951.
- Rank: Technician 4th Class
- Date of birth: 25 May 1914
- Date of death: 7 January 1945
- County: Mcminn
- Hometown: Tranquility
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 813th Tank Battalion
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Silver Star, Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Epinal American Cemetery, Epinal (Vosges), France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XV, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Arnold J. Hyde
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.