Aulton Newell Phillips Sr.
Born 25 August 1919
Died 30 July 1945
Memorialized at the Manila American Cemetery, Philippines
Aulton Phillips served as a Fireman 2nd Class aboard the cruiser U.S.S. Indianapolis (CA-35). After delivering the components for the atomic bomb to Tinian Island, his ship was torpedoed and sunk July 30, 1945. He was lost at sea along with 879 fellow crewman.
‘How many talents were lost?’ Tennessee families of USS Indianapolis crew lost in WWII still mourning
Families of Tennessee’s 47 crewmen lost on the USS Indianapolis during the final hours of World War II continue to mourn loved ones they never met.
- Rank: Fireman Second Class
- Date of birth: 25 August 1919
- Date of death: 30 July 1945
- County: Marion
- Hometown: Jasper
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Indianapolis (CA-35)
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XV, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Aulton N. Phillips Sr.
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.