Jessie Bascom Bryant was born at Wise, Virginia, the son of Jasper Bryant and Minnie Bell Skaggs.
Bascom J. Bryant lived in Lee County, Virginia. He was killed in action July 12, 1944 in Normandy, France, near the town of Carentan.
The Elizabethton Star, 18 August 1944
W.E. Bryant of Hunter has received word his brother, Sgt. Bascom Bryant, has been killed in action in the European area. Sergeant Bryant, who was 27 years old, had been in infantry service for the past seven years. Surviving besides the brother are the parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jasper Bryant of Caylor, Va. And a sister, Miss Marjorie Bryant.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 5 March 1918
- Date of death: 12 July 1944
- County: Carter
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 331th Infantry Regiment, 83rd Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Normandy Campaign
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Chadwell Cemetery, Caylor, Lee County, Virginia
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VII, Bottom Panel
- Sponsored by: Rodger Bryant
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.