Ben Harris McClary was born 27 January 1896, Conasauga, Polk County, Tennessee to Julius C. and Lora A. McClary. He entered the service September 20, 1917 at Denton, Tennessee and trained at Camp Gordon in Georgia and Camp Jackson in South Carolina. He sailed to Europe August 8, 1918, arriving August 19. He served with the 318th U.S. Field Artillery, 81st Division, Battery A.
He died 13 October 1918 at Camp of Le Valdahon in France of meningitis. Cpl McClary was initially buried at Cemetery 38, La Valdahon, Doube, France.
The picture of Corporal McClary is from the Chattanooga Sunday Times Memorial Supplement, May 25, 1919.
- Rank: Corporal
- Date of birth: 27 January 1896
- Date of death: 13 October 1918
- County: Polk
- Hometown: Benton
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: 318th U.S. Field Artillery, 81st Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Burial/Memorial Location: Chattanooga National Cemetery, Chattanooga, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar V, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Ben H. McClary
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.