Charles Oliver Irwin was the son of Paul Wilson Irwin and Leona Kate Robinson.
The Knoxville Journal, November 4, 1944
Maryville, Nov. 3 – Pfc. Charles Irwin was killed in action in Italy Oct. 11, according to a message from the War Department to the parents, Mr. and Mrs. Paul Irwin. Private Irwin was graduated from Everett High School in 1941. He was a member of the Broadway Methodist Church and of the local unit of the National Guard. He received his training at Camp Forrest and Camp Roberts, Calif. He volunteered for overseas duty in 1942. Since that time he has fought in major battles in North Africa, Sicily and Italy. He was 23 years of age.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 28 September 1921
- Date of death: 11 October 1944
- County: Blount
- Hometown: Plainfield Village
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 19th Engineer Regiment, Company F
- Theater: North Africa, Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Magnolia Cemetery, Maryville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Charles O. Irwin
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.