Charlie (Charles) Mack Sykes was born on 28 July 1921, the son of George Thomas Sykes and Gertrude Mae Etta “Gertie” Lakins. He joined the Army July 4, 1942. He was Killed in Action 18 March 1944 in Anzio Beach Battle in Italy. He was survived by his parents; brother, Fred Sykes and four sisters, Miss Martha Sykes, Miss Irene Sykes, Mrs. Elizabeth Staley and Mrs. Letcher R. Marsh.
Cpl Sykes is buried at Helton Springs Cemetery, Grainger County, Tennessee.
- Rank: Corporal
- Date of birth: 28 July 1921
- Date of death: 18 March 1944
- County: Grainger
- Hometown: Rutledge
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Anzio
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Helton Springs Cemetery, Grainger County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IX, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Charlie M. Sykes
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.