Private First Class Chester Edmondson was assigned to the 38th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division. The division had trained in Wales and on the 7th of June 1944, D-Day + 1, crossed the Channel and came ashore across Omaha Beach. The 2nd was immediately involved in the battle for Normandy.
PFC Edmondson was killed in action on 9th of June 1944. He is interred at the Normandy American Cemetery, Colleville-sur-Mer, France, plot B, row 14, grave 9.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of death: 9 June 1944
- County: Rhea
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 38th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Normandy Campaign
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Normandy American Cemetery, Colleville-sur-Mer, France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVI, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Chester Edmondson
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.