Clinton Andy Franklin was born in Madison County, North Carolina, the son of Dewey Hopson Franklin and Edith Leora Wilds. Husband of Alice LaRue Willis and father of Aundra Ann Franklin.
Private Clinton A. Franklin was assigned to the 331st Infantry Regiment, 83rd Infantry Division. At the time of his death the Division was landed as reinforcements across Omaha Beach after riding out a heavy storm in the English Channel. It entered combat for the first time on 4th of July 1944 at Carentan. Pvt Franklin was killed in action on 5 July 1944 and is is interred at G,10,36, Normandy American Cemetery, Colleville-sur-Mer, France.
The Greeneville Sun, July 26, 1944
Pfc. Clinton A. Franklin, 19, was killed in action in France on July 5, according to a telegram received yesterday by his wife, the former Miss Alice LaRue Willis. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Dewey Franklin of Greeneville, Rt.1 and was engaged in farming when he entered the armed forces. He entered service last August.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 30 October 1924
- Date of death: 5 July 1944
- County: Greene
- Hometown: Greeneville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 331st Infantry Regiment, 83rd Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Normandy Campaign
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Normandy American Cemetery, Colleville-sur-Mer, France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IX, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Clinton A. Franklin
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.