Cyril Chadwell was the son of Jackson C. “Jack” Chadwell and Bessie Coker.
S/Sgt Chadell enlisted in the military February 19, 1942 in Fort Oglethorpe, GA.
Aircraft B-24H with serial number 42-78199 departed from Manduria Air Base in Italy on a combat mission to Ploesti, Romania. The aircraft was hit by flak and crashed in Romania. Four chutes were seen to leave the aircraft.
Pilot, 1st Lt Francis V. Lael
Co-Pilot, 1st Lt Ralph R. Rickey
Navigator, 2nd Lt Edward C. Roberts
Bombardier, 2nd Lt Eugene F. Hagenson
Engineer, T/Sgt William W. Turrentine
Radio Operator, S/Sgt Russell H. Preihs
Assistant Aerial Gunner, S/Sgt Cyril J. Chadwell
Gunner, Sgt Edgar Carroll
Assistant Gunner, S/Sgt John A. Mytych
Assistant Armored Gunner, Sgt Otto J. Doeppke
- Rank: Staff Sergeant
- Date of birth: 21 September 1912
- Date of death: 5 April 1944
- County: Anderson
- Hometown: Lake City
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 450th Bomber Group, 723rd Bomber Squadron
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Chadwell Cemetery, White Oak, Campbell County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Cyril J. Chadwell
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.