David Wilton Peters was born on 10 August 1912 at Athens, McMinn County, Tennessee to Maynard Jackson Peters and Mary Sams Shoemaker. He was the husband of Mary Ellen Campbell.
Died 16 September 1944, France
Buried at Brittany American Cemetery, St. James (Manche), France, J, 5, 19.
David Peters was the son of Maynard J. and Mary S. Peters. He entered the service from Georgia.
The Chattanooga Times, October 6, 1944
Killed in action was Pvt. David Wilton Peters, husband of Mrs. Mary Ellen Campell Peters. Pvt. Peters, a graduate of Central High, student at the University of Chattanooga and a member of the Ridgedale Methodist Church, was reported killed in action in France, Sept. 16. Before entering service last January, Pvt. Peters was with the Sears-Roebuck store in Augusta, Ga., where he and his family had lived for three years.
He is survived by his wife and two children, Evelyn Campbell and Gloria Bell Peters; parents, Mr. and Mrs. Maynard J. Peters; two brothers, Ford G. Peters, Miami, Fla., and Donald Peters, who is with the army air forces in North Africa; grandmother, Mrs. Laura E. Shoemaker, Athens, Tenn., and several uncles.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 10 August 1912
- Date of death: 16 September 1944
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 175th Infantry Regiment, 29th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Brittany American Cemetery, St. James (Manche), France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor David W. Peters
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.