Doyle Blane Ashburn was born 14 March 1921 to Sheridan and Stella Howard Ashburn
Enlisted – 16 July 1942, Ft Oglethorpe, GA
He served with the 15th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Battalion, F Company, 3rd Infantry Division
Killed in action – 7 August 1943 during combat in Sicily, Italy.
Buried – Crosville Cemetery, Crosville, Georgia
The Crossville Chronicle, August 5, 1948
Last rites for Pvt. Doyle B. Ashburn, who gave his life for his country in the North Africa area in August, 1943, were held at the Bilbrey Funeral Home. Militaryservices were held at the Jonesville Cemetery in Fentress County.
Surviving are his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Sheridan Ashburn, three sisters, Mrs. Owen S. Darling of Miami, Fla., Mrs Fred Loshbough and Miss Ethelene Ashburn, both of whom reside here; four brothers, Onie of Banner Springs, Harold of Miami, Fla., Homer in Chicago, Ill., and Archie at home.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 14 March 1921
- Date of death: 7 August 1943
- County: Cumberland
- Hometown: Clarkrange
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 15th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Crosville Cemetery, Crosville, Georgia
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Doyle B. Ashburn
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.