Sgt. Edsel Neal Griffin was born March 1, 1923 in Postelle, Polk County, Tennessee. He was the son of Sylvester and Anna Swain Griffin. His siblings were Jeane, Arlena, and Billy Griffin.
Edsel attended high school for four years and prior to enlisting in the US Army he was skilled in metal fabrication. Edsel was not married.
He enlisted in the US Army at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia on January 14, 1943. He was a gunner in the ArmyAir Force during World War II and was shot down on April 28, 1944.
He was returned home and is buried at Zion Hill Baptist Church Cemetery near Turtletown, Polk County, Tennessee.
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of birth: 1 March 1923
- Date of death: 28 April 1944
- County: Polk
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Zion Hill Baptist Church Cemetery near Turtletown, Polk County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Edsel N. Griffin