Elbert Bowman was born at Buffalo, Tennessee on 15 July 1898. He inducted May 24, 1918 at Elizabethton, TN and trained at Camp Pike, Little Rock, Arkansas and Camp Merritt, Hoboken, N.J. Served with the 11th Regiment, Company D and was transferred to the Company K, Tng Regt; HQ Company, 83rd Division, 2nd Depot; Company D, 11th Infantry. He sailed to Europe on 2 August 1918.
He was severly wounded on 20 October 1918. He died on 21 November 1918 in Blois Hospital, France of emphysema.
Pvt Bowman was originally buried at Grave #95, Plot Amer. #57, Municipal Cemetery, Blois, Loire-et-Cher, France. He was interred at Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Virginia on 14 January 1921.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 15 July 1898
- Date of death: 21 November 1918
- County: Carter
- Hometown: Elizabethton
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company D, 11th Infantry, 5th Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Battles: Offensive; St. Mihiel, Meuse Argonne, Defensive; St. Die (Corrine), Villers-en-Hage (Lorraine)
- Burial/Memorial Location: Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, VA
- Location In Memorial: Pillar II, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Elbert Bowman
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.