Elbert Glenard Wood was the son of Elbert Glenard Wood and Frances Cary Talcott
Buried at Sicily-Rome American Cemetery in Nettuno, Italy, I, 12, 68
The Knoxville Journal, June 24, 1944
Eight weeks on the Anzio beachhead were served by Pfc. Elbert G. Wood Jr., who was killed in action in Italy, May 23. Private Wood, son of Dr. And Mrs. E.G. Wood of Holston Hills, arrived in North Africa in October, 1943 and three weeks later was sent to Italy. He did one year of preparatory work at Tennessee Military Institute, Sweetwater, was graduated from Catholic High School, and was a pre-medical student at the University of Tennessee when he entered the service, April 6, 1943. He was a member of Kappa Sigma fraternity.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 23 December 1921
- Date of death: 23 May 1944
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 30th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Sicily-Rome American Cemetery, Nettuno, Italy
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XIV, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Elbert G. Wood Jr.
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.