Elmer Arnold Merritt and his brother Charles Edward Merritt are the sons of Chester Arthur and Mary A. Merritt.
Private First Class Elmer Arnold Merritt was serving with the 2nd Marine Division. He was killed in the battle to take the Island of Saipan.
6th Marines, 2nd Marine Division, Company B
Buried at Bethel Baptist Cemetery, Clinton, TN
Wife: Mrs. Elmer A. Merrit, Rt 1, Andersonville, TN
Clinton Courier news, Feb. 1, 1945:
Pfc. Elmer A. Merritt, son of Mr. and Mrs. C.A. Merritt of Andersonville, was killed fighting with the Second Marines at Saipan in the Pacific on July 1, 1944. His brother, Charles E. Merritt was shot down and killed in action over Romania April 4, 1944. Another brother, Pfc. Theodore C. Merritt is in the Netherlands East Indies.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 18 December 1911
- Date of death: 1 July 1944
- County: Anderson
- Hometown: Andersonville
- Service Branch: Marine Corps
- Division/Assignment: 6th Marines, 2nd Marine Division
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Saipan
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Bethel Baptist Cemetery, Clinton, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Elmer A. Merritt
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.