Frank Thatcher Saunders Jr. was born on 21 February 1921 at Bensenville, Illinois, son of Frank Thatcher Sanders and Mame Emily Wall.
Died non battle 11 January 1944
Buried Sicily-Rome American Cemetery, Nettuno, Lazio, Italy, Grave H 10 20
486th Bomber Squadron, 340th Bomber Group, Medium
Aircraft B-25D Serialnumber 41-30618
Crashed at Pompei, Italy
The Chattanooga Times, January 25, 1944
Lt. Frank T. Saunders Jr., 23, brother of Mrs. Frank L. Miller, 22 Fortwood Apartments, was killed in action Jan. 11 in Italy. News of the death of Lt. Saunders was telegraphed by the War Department last week to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Frank T. Saunders of San Francisco, formerly of Chattanooga. Mrs. Miller, Lt. Saunders’ sister, was notified by their parents. Lt. Saunders was serving as a bombardier-navigator with a bomber squadron in Italy, Mrs. Miller learned. He attended McCallie School, where he played football, and later was a student at Santa Clara University. He left school to volunteer for the air forces in May, 1942.
Saunders took basic training at Santa Ana, Calif., and graduated from the bombardier school at Victorville, Calif., and the navigator school at Carlsbad, N.M., where he was commissioned a second lieutenant. He was ordered overseas last September.
- Rank: Second Lieutenant
- Date of birth: 21 February 1921
- Date of death: 11 January 1944
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 486th Bomber Squadron, 340th Bomber Group, Medium
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Air Medal, Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Sicily-Rome American Cemetery, Nettuno, Italy
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Frank T. Saunders Jr.
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.