Born 7 April 1917
Died 1 January 1943, Southwest Pacific
Son of Mrs. Percy S. Boyd of Butler.
Awarded the Purple Heart
Staff Sergeant 319th Bomber Squadron, 90th Bomber Group Jolly Rogers, 5th Air Force
S/Sgt Diggs was a Gunner on aircraft B-24D with serial number 41-23752. He was a member of Philip Kuhl’s crew. His plane ‘Crosair’ was borrowed from the 310th Bomber Squadron for a single plane raid on Vunakanu airfield. Returning to the base after mission, the plane experienced engine problems and had to be ditched.
S/Sgt Diggs was initially buried at the USAF Cemetery Finschaffen No. 2, New Guinea.
- Rank: Staff Sergeant
- Date of birth: 7 April 1917
- Date of death: 1 January 1943
- County: Washington
- Hometown: Butler
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 319th Bomber Squadron, 90th Bomber Group
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Knoxville National Cemetery, Knoxville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XIX, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Fred T. Diggs
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.