George E. French was born 25 September 1922, son of George Franklin French and Isabelle “Belle” Rein Ratledge.
Died 6 August 1944 in France
Buried at Salem Cemetery, Greenback, TN
Private First Class
36th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division, Company H
The Knoxville Journal, July 31, 1942
On furlough was Pvt. George E. French, son of Mrs. Bell E. French, Greenback. He is stationed at Camp Polk in Louisiana.
The Daily Times, Maryville, Nov. 4, 1948
Pfc. George Edward French, age 21, was killed in action in France Aug. 6, 1944. He served with the 36th Armed Infantry Regiment for four years. Survivors include mother, Mrs. George French of Greenback; one brother, Richard of Peoria, Ill.; three sisters, Mrs. W.E. Hill and Mrs. Howard Brooks of Greenback, Mrs. Creed Miller of Alcoa.
Photo courtesy; Mr. Dwight “Andy” Anderson
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 25 September 1922
- Date of death: 6 August 1944
- County: Loudon
- Hometown: Greenback
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 36th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Salem Cemetery, Greenback, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XV, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor George E. French
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.