Private First Class George L. Bowerman was born in 1919. He was the son of James and Beuna Bowerman. He had two brothers, Oscar Bowerman and Earl Bowerman. Prior to joining the military, he worked as a farmer. He enlisted in the military on November 10, 1942 in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia.
Born 13 July 1919
Died 3 August 1944
Buried at Highland Memorial Cemetery, Knoxville, TN
307th Infantry Regiment, 77 Infantry Division, Company G
The Knoxville News-Sentinel, September 2, 1944
Mrs. George Lee Bowerman, 1840 Kimwatt Road, has received official word that her husband Pfc. George Lee Bowerman, was killed in action in Guam Aug. 3.
Pfc. Bowerman, who was 25 years old, had been in service 21 months. He had been overseas four months. He was a farmer before entering service. He leave his wife, Mrs. Lila Bowerman; a son, Clifford Lee Bowerman; mother-in law, Mrs. Sara Bowerman; parents, Mr. and Mrs. L.M. Bowerman and brothers, Earl and Pvt. James O. Bowerman, who now is in Itlay.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 13 July 1919
- Date of death: 3 August 1944
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 307th Infantry Regiment, 77 Infantry Division
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Highland Memorial Cemetery, Knoxville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor George L. Bowerman
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.