George Washington Riggs Jr. was the son of George Washington Riggs and Flora Jane McNeely.
He died non battle.
Charleston, Tenn. – A collision between a light truck loaded with church-bound passengers and an automobile near here last night left three persons dead and nine others in hospitals, three reported in dying condition.
Dead were Walter Fair, 40, and J.P. McCosh, 36, Charleston, identified by Bradley county police as drivers of the tow machines; and Sergt. George Riggs, 26, Sixth Cavalry, Fort Oglethorpe.
Police said McCosh, a preacher, was en route to the Cleveland Church of God with his wife and their children when the accident occurred. Reported dying are three of the McCosh children.
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of birth: 30 June 1909
- Date of death: 3 March 1941
- County: Blount
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 6th Cavalry
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Eusebia Cemetery, Prospect, Blount County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VI, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor George Riggs Jr.
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.