George William Shoemaker was born in Chattanooga, Tennessee to Jacob William Shoemaker and Dorothy Louise Stuart.
He was initally buried at the USAF Cemetery Leyte #1.
The Chattanooga Daily Times, Sunday 19 September 1948
Funeral services for S2/C George William Shoemaker, USNR, whose body is en route home for burial, will be held Tuesday at the grave in the Nationals Cemetery. S2/C Shoemaker, a gunner on the cruiser USS St. Louis, was killed in action Nov. 27, 1944, by the dive of an enemy kamikaze pilot during the battle of Leyte Gulf. He is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jacob William Shoemaker, 607 Orr street; a sister, Barbara Jean Shoemaker; three brothers, James Thomas Shoemaker and Jacob William Shoemaker of Chattanooga; T/Sgt Robert S. Shoemaker, Kearney Air Field, Neb.; grandmothers, Mrs. Rose Shoemaker of Chattanooga and Mrs Jessie Stuart of Grand Blanc, Mich.; several uncles, aunts and cousins.
- Rank: Seaman Second Class
- Date of birth: 6 November 1926
- Date of death: 27 November 1944
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS St. Louis (CL-49)
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Chattanooga National Cemetery, Chattanooga, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor George W. Shoemaker
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.