Aviation Radioman Grant Ulysses Dawn was shipped aboard the USS Yorktown as a member of Bombing 3, a squadron of SBD Dauntless dive bombers. The Yorktown and her escorts were sent to intercept the Japanese invasion force. The battle of Midway began on 4 June 1942. The Yorktown was damaged by a bomb through the flight deck. Unable to land her planes due to the damage, the 3 SBD’s were diverted to the USS Enterprise, flying off on 5 June 1942 to intercept the Japanese carriers. The dive bomber piloted by Lt.jg Osborne Beeman Wiseman and carrying GunnerAR3c Dawn was shot down on this mission.
He is remembered on the Tablets of the Missing, Honolulu Memorial Cemetery, Hawaii and was officially declared dead on 5 June 1943.
Father: Mr. F.R. Dawn, Lenoir City, TN, and brothers: Robert, Clarence, Curtis, and James.
- Rank: Aviation Radioman Third Class
- Date of birth: 14 July 1917
- Date of death: 4 June 1942
- County: Loudon
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: Bombing Squadron 3, 3rd Division
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Battle of Midway
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Honolulu Memorial, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XV, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Grant U. Dawn
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.