Grover Cleveland Bailey was born in 1922 in Georgia, the son of Reuben Underwood Bailey and Clara Trell King. His father was a veteran of World War I and was wounded several times. He came to Chattanooga from Athens, Ga., where he had operated a hotel. Mr. Baily had been with the Chattanooga Stamping and Enameling company and was known as one of the finest welders of Chattanooga before he died in 1939.
Sgt. Bailey was reported killed in action in the North African theater.
26th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division
Listed on the Tablets of the Missing, North Africa American Cemetery, Carthage, Tunisia
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of death: 30 April 1943
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Hixson
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 26th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division
- Theater: North Africa
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Bronze Star, Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: North Africa American Cemetery, Carthage, Tunisia
- Location In Memorial: Pillar X, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Grover C. Bailey