Private Herbert Lee Hill was born in June 1898, in White Oak, Dunklin County, Missouri. He was the son of Ocila and Myrtle Hill. He enlisted for service in the United States Marine Corps in the 5th Regiment, 2nd Division, and served his country in World War I. Private Hill died of wounds received in combat during the battle of Belleau Wood in France. He is buried at Suresnes American Cemetery, in Suresnes, France (B, 11, 20).
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 26 June 1898
- Date of death: 7 June 1918
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Marine Corps
- Division/Assignment: 5th USMC Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Battles: Toulon Sector, Aisne Defensive, Chateau Thierry Sector
- Burial/Memorial Location: Suresnes American Cemetery, Suresnes, France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar III, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Herbert L. Hill
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.