Horace J. Woods
Born 15 September 1922
Died 25 July 1944
120th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division, Company E
PFC Wood was killed in action in France. He was the son of Horace D. and Bessie A. Wood. He is buried at Brown Springs Baptist Church Cemetery, Mosheim, Greene County, Tennessee.
Horace Junior Wood was raised on a farm sharecropping with his Dad. Dad worked for 25 cents a day plus a few crops. When he was drafted, my oldest brother joined the Navy. It left Dad with no help. But he never complained. Junior was quick to help one out with anything. You don’t see much of his kind today. My older brother survived after about a year in Army hospital. Junior would not accept a raise in rank. He said, “I will just be an old PFC.” He was a real hero.
-Submitted by his brother, James H. Wood Sr.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 15 September 1922
- Date of death: 25 July 1944
- County: Greene
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 120th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Brown Springs Baptist Church Cemetery, Mosheim, Greene County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IX, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Horace J. Woods Jr.