Born 16 April 1917, Oneida, Scott County, Tennessee
Died non Battle 2 February 1944, Arizona
Sgt Thompson is buried at Marcum Cemetery, Oneida, Scott County, Tennessee.
Two men out of a crew of ten were killed yesterday morning in the crash of a B-24 Liberator bomber less than two miles north of the David-Monthan field. Eight of the crew escaped injury as the plane struck the ground and burst into flames. The plane, based at Mitchell field, N.Y., had just taken off from a flying field at Consolidated-Vultee aircraft modification center here and had been in the air only a few minutes when the accident occurred. The dead as identified by Army authorities are: Staff Sgt Thomas Irving, son of Mr. and Mrs. Richard C. Irving, 7 Catherine street, Plains, Pa., and Sgt Howard Thompson, 26, husband of Mrs. Shirley Mae Thompson, Pulaski, Va.
- Rank: Sergeant
- Date of birth: 16 April 1917
- Date of death: 2 February 1944
- County: Scott
- Hometown: Oneida
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Marcum Cemetery, Oneida, Scott County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Howard Thompson
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.