Private First Class Hubert Wade Crowder enlisted in the US Army on September 13, 1944 at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia.
Madisonville boy killed in action
Many hearts were saddened on Wednesday of last week when news was received from the War Department by Mr. and Mrs. Hubert Crowder that their son, Wade, was killed in action on May 23 during a battle on Okinawa. Wade was 20 years of age. He entered the service in September, 1944, going overseas in February. He received his basic training at Camp Blanding Fl. He was a graduate of Madisonville High School and was employed by TVA before entering the Army. Besides his parents he is survived by four brothers and two sisters. Cpl. Ray Crowder, U.S. Army Glenn, Claude and J.W. Mrs. Marie Muller of Maryville and Miss Bulia Faye.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 16 September 1924
- Date of death: 23 May 1945
- County: Monroe
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 382nd Infantry Regiment, 96th Division
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Okinawa
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Big Creek Cemetery, Big Creek, Monroe County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Hubert W. Crowder
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.