Jack Dempsey Yates was born in Georgia, the son of Joseph Howard Yates and Mattie Nora Hall. He was married to Gwendolyn Elouise Thompson. Before entering the army he attended Draughn’s Business College at Montgomery in Alabama. He received training at South Plains Army Flying School.
Jack D. Yates, Flight Officer, Glider Pilot
318th Troop Carrier, 3rd Air Commando Group
Died 14 February 1945, drop mission at Antipollo, Philippines
Crew of Aircraft 43-15816
1st Lt Thomas P. Sneckner Pilot
F/O Jack H Deacon Co-Pilot
F/O Jack D Yates Glider Pilot / Aerial Observer
F/O George C. Polovich Glider Pilot
Sgt David B. Browne Crew Chief
S/Sgt Freeman F. Stanton Radio Operator
Jack D. Yates was an aerial observer on a C-47 aircraft which crashed near Bohol, Philippines. The aircraft and crewmembers were completely consumed by fire, which occured after the plane crashed. There is a mass grave stone at National Cemetery Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, MO.
- Rank: Flight Officer
- Date of birth: 9 September 1921
- Date of death: 14 February 1945
- County: Sullivan
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 318th Troop Carrier, 3rd Air Commando Group
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery, St. Louis County, MO
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVIII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Jack D. Yates
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.