Lance Corporal James Austin Benton was born on February 19, 1948, and was originally from Daisy, Tennessee, a small community north of Chattanooga in Hamilton County. He served his country in the Vietnam War in the United States Marine Corps, as a combat engineer in 2nd Platoon, A Company, 3rd Engineering Battalion, 3rd Marine Division. Lance Corporal Benton was 19 when he was flying in a helicopter on April 27, 1967, off the shore of South Vietnam when the chopper crashed into the sea; his body was not recovered. He is memorialized on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial on Panel 18E, Line 100.
- Rank: Lance Corporal
- Date of birth: 19 February 1948
- Date of death: 27 April 1967
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Daisy
- Service Branch: Marine Corps
- Division/Assignment: 3rd Engineering Battalion, 3rd Marine Division
- Conflict: Vietnam
- Burial/Memorial Location: Honolulu Memorial, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XXII, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor James A. Benton
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.