Private James Cosby Atchley was born on 5 February 1925 in Knoxville. He was the son of Cosby and Carrie Fair Atchley. He had one sister, Frances Atchley. He married Rose Aline Foster in 1943. Prior to joining the military, he worked as a driller. He enlisted in the military on May 21, 1943 in Camp Forrest, Tennessee. He served in the Pacific theater of the war and died on Luzon Island, Philippines on May 10, 1945. His death is listed as died non-battle.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 5 February 1925
- Date of death: 1 October 1945
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 238th Ordnance Ammunition Company
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Nashville National Cemetery, Madison, Davidson County, Tennessee,
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VIII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor James C. Atchley
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.