James John Beene was born1 in Chattanooga, Hamilton County, TN. He was the son of James John Beene and Lucy Pearl Helms.
He resided in Michigan at the time of his enlistment on 3 March 1943 at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia.
Lt. Beene was a member of the 57th Fighter Squadron and died when the P-51B he was flying (tail number 43-6394) crashed near Bartow, FL.
The Chattanooga Daily Times, 15 October 1943
Lt. Beene, son of Mr. and Mrs. James J. Beene of 710 Battery Place, was killed yesterday at Bartow, Fla., in an airplane crash according to word received here last night by relatives. The accident occurred a few hours after his parents had departed for Chattanooga after visiting him. Lt. Beene was an outstanding tennes player here. He was a graduate of Chattanooga High School and attended the University of Tennessee and the University of Chattanooga.
Picture from the Chattanooga High School Yearbook 1938
- Rank: Lieutenant
- Date of birth: 18 February 1921
- Date of death: 14 October 1943
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 57th Fighter Squadron
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Forest Hills Cemetery, Chattanooga, Hamilton County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor James J. Beene Jr.
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.