James Marion Payne enlisted on November 6, 1917, as a member of Company A, 327th Infantry, 82nd Division. Received his military training at Camp Gordon, GA. Embarked for France on March 2, 1918, and took part in all battles of his command until wounded on August 2, 1918. As a result of these same wounds spent several weeks in a hospital. Contracted bronchial pneumonia and died on November 20, 1918.
He died at the age of 22 and is interred at Oise-Aisne American Cemetery, Fere-en-Tardenois, France ( C,15,25).
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 16 May 1895
- Date of death: 20 November 1918
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company A, 327th Infantry Regiment, 82nd Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Burial/Memorial Location: Oise-Aisne American Cemetery, Fere-en-Tardenois, France
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IV, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor James M. Payne
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.