Jesse Willard Poteet was born on February 14, 1915 in Whitfield County, Georgia. Son of Thomas Napoleon and Mattie Poteet. was onboard the British troopship HMT (Her Majesties Transport) Rohna in the Mediterranean Sea. On November 26, 1943, during WWII, one thousand, one hundred and thirty eight men perished when the Rohna was attacked from the air by a German missile and destroyed in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Algeria.
He is memorialized at the Tablets of the Missing at North Africa American Cemetery, Carthage in Tunisia.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 14 February 1915
- Date of death: 27 November 1943
- County: Bradley
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 853rd Engineer Battalion, Aviation
- Theater: Europe, North Africa
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: North Africa American Cemetery, Carthage, Tunisia
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VII, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Jesse W. Poteet
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.