Born 12 August 1920
Died 25 September 1944
Buried at Morganton Cemetery, Greenback, TN
Private First Class
338th Infantry Regiment, Company I
The Knoxville Journal, September 27, 1944
Pfc. Joe C. Lett, 24, son of Mrs. Melvina woods of Route 1, Greenback, has been slightly wounded in action in Italy, according to information received by his mother. Private Lett entered the service two years ago last May. He has been overseas for the past nine months.
The Knoxville Journal, November 2, 1944
Pfc. Joe C. Lett of Greenback, was killed in action in Italy Sept. 25, according to a War Department message received last week by his mother, Mrs. Melina Woods. Private Lett entered the Army two years and five months, to the day before his death. He was wounded May 11, and received the Purple Heart, which he sent to his mother. He was formerly employed in Dayton, Ohio. He has two brothers in service. Pfc. Shermon H. Lett with the Army in Florida and Harvey M. Lett with the Navy in New York.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 12 August 1920
- Date of death: 25 September 1944
- County: Loudon
- Hometown: Greenback
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 338th Infantry Regiment
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster
- Burial/Memorial Location: Morganton Cemetery, Greenback, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XV, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Joe C. Lett
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.