Joe Dan Simerly was born on 18 September 1931 to James William “Will” Simerly and Mary Ann Peters.
Corporal Joe Dan Simerly was a member of the 38th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division. He was Killed in Action while fighting the enemy in South Korea. Buried at Rittertown Baptist Church Cemetery, Hampton, TN.
The Elizabethton Star, August 15, 1951
Funeral services for Cpl. Joe D. Simerly, 19, son of Mr. and Mrs. Will Simerly, route 1, Hampton, killed in action on September 8, 1950, while fighting in Korea, will be conducted from the Fish Springs Baptist Church in Rittertown. Interment will be in the Fish Spring Baptist Cemetery at Rittertown.
Supreme sacrifice only 21 days after he had reached Korea with Company L, 38th Infanntry. He entered service January 13, 1949 and underwent basic training at Fort Jackson, S.C. He was subsequently assigned to Fort Lewis, Washington, port of embarkation. Prior to entering service he attended Hampton High Schoo. Other than his parents, Corporal Simerly is survived by three sisters, Mrs. Helen Smith, Miss Wilma Simerly, Miss Elsie SImerly and one brother, Bobbie Simerly, all of Hampton.
- Rank: Corporal
- Date of birth: 18 September 1931
- Date of death: 8 September 1950
- County: Carter
- Hometown: Hampton
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: 38th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division
- Conflict: Korean War
- Awards: Purple Heart, Combat Infantrymans Badge, Korean Service Medal, United Nations Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal, and Republic of Korea War Service Medal
- Burial/Memorial Location: Rittertown Baptist Church Cemetery, Hampton, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XX, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Joe D. Simerly
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.