Major John Dutcher Austin was born March 21, 1892 in Ithaca, Tompkins, NY, son of Ward Wade Austin and Carrie J. Dutcher. Husband of Roberta Ruth Moody and father of John Dutcher Austin Jr., Roberta Ruth Ann Austin and Eleanor Elizabeth Austin.
He died died non battle on February 18, 1945 Camp McCain, Webster, Mississippi. He was serving at the prisoner of war camp where he died of a heart attack. Maj. Austin was shipped to Cincinnati on 25 February 1945 for cremation.
Photo Courtesy of Caroline Crowe Bristol
- Rank: Major
- Date of birth: 21 March 1892
- Date of death: 18 February 1945
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 14th Cavalry
- Conflict: World War II
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XV, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor John D. Austin
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.