John L. Bean was born 17 November 1912 to Jessie and Mattie Bean. He was the brother of Irene Bean and Raymond Bean. As a teenager, he worked as a clerk at the Iron Works, where his father worked as a laborer. Before joining the military, he married. He enlisted in the military on April 13, 1944 in Camp Shelby, Mississippi. He was married to Zelma Austin Bean and had a daughter Mary Irene.
Pvt Bean was brought to the Station Hospital at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia where he died 9 May 1945 of acute respiratory failure. He is buried at New Gray Cemetery, Knoxville, Tennessee.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 17 November 1912
- Date of death: 9 May 1945
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: New Gray Cemetery, Knoxville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XIV, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor John L. Bean
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.