John Sam Birchfield was born on 17 April 1924
Died 19 June 1944 at Roan Mountain, Tennessee to Samuel J.L.Birchfield and Ollie Brewer.
Buried at Birchfield Cemetery, Roan Mountain, TN
23rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, Company C
The Elizabethton Star, 25 February 1948
Funeral services for John S. Birchfield, killed in action in Normandy June 19, 1944, will be held at the Hiliness church at Roan Mountain.
Young Birchfield was born and reared near Roan Mountain on Hampton Cree and was the youngest of seven children. He was with Company “C” of the 23rd Infantry.
John S. Birchfield is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Sam Burchfield of Roan Mountain; three brothers, Tom of Roan Mountain, Lone of Frank, N.C., Frank of Shell Creek and four sisters, Mrs. Doris Davis and Mrs. Ira Miller of Erwin, Mrs. Beulah Calhoun and Mrs. Oma Winters of Shell Creek.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 17 April 1924
- Date of death: 19 June 1944
- County: Carter
- Hometown: Roan Mountain
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 23rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Battles: Normandy Campaign
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Birchfield Cemetery, Roan Mountain, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VII, Bottom Panel
- Contact us to sponsor John S. Birchfield
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.