John Steward Stafford was born at Maryville, Tennessee, the son of Jake Houston Stafford and Beulah Ann Frances Amburn.
The Knoxville Journal, 20 July 1948
Tech. Sgt. John S. Stafford, killed in action July 24, 1944, in France while serving in the Army. His father was awarded the Purple Heart posthumously. Survivors: father, J.H. Stafford; five sisters, Mrs. Carl Scarbrough, Maryville; Mrs. Henry Hill, Maryville; Misses Martha, Rachel and Willidean Stafford, Maryville.
- Rank: Technician 5th Class
- Date of birth: 7 January 1920
- Date of death: 24 July 1944
- County: Blount
- Hometown: Maryville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 8th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Pleasent Hill Cemetery, Maryville, Blount County, Tennessee
- Location In Memorial: Pillar VI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor John S. Stafford
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.