John William Armstrong was born in Rogersville, TN, but his family soon moved to Harmony, near Jonesborough, TN.
He was Killed in Action in Soissons, France, during first day of the Aisne-Marne Offensive at the age of 39.
He served in the regular army during the Spanish American War and was a Philippine-American War Veteran; served on Mexican border; was honorably discharged twice and reentered the regular army on 28 March 1914 at Jefferson Barracks, Mo. for the last time upon outbreak of World War I at the age of 35. He served with Company D, 18th Regiment, 1st Infantry Division.
Montdidier-Noyon Operation, France (9 -13 June 1918)
Aisne-Marne Offensive, France (18 July-6 August 1918)
- Rank: Corporal
- Date of birth: 23 October 1878
- Date of death: 7 July 1918
- County: Washington
- Hometown: Harmony, Jonesboro, TN
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: 18th Regiment, 1st Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Battles: Soissons
- Burial/Memorial Location: Graves Cemetery, Guilford (Washington Township), Missouri
- Location In Memorial: Pillar V, Top Panel
- Sponsored by: William Johnson
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.