John Wesley Turpin
Born Concord, TN
Parents: King Joshua Turpin, Ida Belle Conatser
PFC Turpin was initially buried at 11 Corps Cemetery, Matuer, Tripolitania in Libya.
Interment Date: 24 Jun 1948
Cemetery: Knoxville National Cemetery
Buried At: Section B Site 6697
The Knoxville Journal, June 20, 1943
Pfc. John E. Turpin, 25, son of Mrs. Ida Turpin, 1606 Isabella Avenue, was officially reported killed in action in North Africa yesterday. The War Department in washington made public the names of 167 United States soldiers kille din action in Asiatic, European Middle East, North Africa and South-west Pacific Areas. Mrs. Turpin, a widow, had received previous notice of the death of her son. Young Turpin had been enlisted in the U.S. Army nearly two years. Before leaving here he made his home with his mother on Isabella Avenue, friends said.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 15 October 1917
- Date of death: 23 April 1943
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Infantry
- Theater: North Africa
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Knoxville National Cemetery, Knoxville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XIV, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor John W. Turpin
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.