Joseph Collie Helton Jr.
Parents: Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Collie Helton Sr., Rt 2, Lenoir City, TN
Seaman First Class Helton served on the U.S.S. Mississippi. He was killed in action on 20 November 1943. Memorialized at the Honolulu, HI Memorial.
Historical Note from Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
…..After overhaul at San Francisco the Mississippi sailed from San Pedro 19 October to take part in the invasion of the Gilbert Islands. While bombarding Makin 20 November, a turret explosion, almost identical to an earlier tragedy in 1924, killed 43 men.
- Rank: Seaman First Class
- Date of death: 20 November 1943
- County: Loudon
- Hometown: Lenoir City
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Mississippi (BB-41)
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Honolulu Memorial, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XV, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Joseph C. Helton Jr.
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.