Joseph Geren Rowden served on the USS Indianapolis (CA-35). The Indianapolis on 30 July 1945 was en route from Guam to Leyte Gulf. After delivering the components for the atomic bomb to Tinian Island, his ship was torpedoed and sunk July 30, 1945. He was lost at sea along with 879 fellow crewmen.
Memorialized at Manila American Cemetery, Philippines
Wife: Mrs. Margaret Eaves Rowden, Rt 3, Athens, TN
- Rank: Fireman First Class
- Date of death: 30 July 1945
- County: McMinn
- Hometown: Athens
- Service Branch: Navy
- Division/Assignment: USS Indianapolis (CA-35)
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Manila American Cemetery, Fort Bonifacio, Manila, Philippines
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XV, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Joseph G. Rowden
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.