Lee Arnold Wilkerson
Pvt Wilkerson was initially buried at the USAF Cemetery Finschaffen No. 4, New Guinea. Buried Knoxville National Cem., Knox Co., TN, B, 6588.
Pvt. Arnold Wilkerson, 32, was killed in action August 21, 1943, while serving with the 43rd Inf. Div. in the Southwest Pacific. He was killed in action on Munda Island. The body arrived in Madisonville on Tuesday afternoon. Funeral services were held at First Baptist Church with the pastor, Rev. C.J. Veatch, and Rev. Creed McCoy of Knoxville officiating. He was reburied Feb. 16, 1949 in the Knoxville National Cem. at Knoxville. Before entering service, Dec. 18, 1942, Arnold was employed by Alcoa and was a member of First Baptist Church.
Survivors include his widow, Mrs. Mae Sloan Wilkerson, of Vonore, his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Wilkerson, two sisters, Mrs. J.J. Merritt and Mrs. Johnnie Stiles, two brothers, Carl and Bob, all of Madisonville.
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 9 December 1911
- Date of death: 21 August 1943
- County: Monroe
- Hometown: Madisonville
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 169th Infantry Regiment, 43rd Infantry Division
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Burial/Memorial Location: Knoxville National Cemetery, Knoxville, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVI, Top Panel
- Contact us to sponsor L. Arnold Wilkerson
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.