Melvin Oscar Lancaster was born on 1 October 1921 at Russellville, Arkansas to Isaac Melvin Lancaster and Cora Jane Barnett.
He died on 29 July 1944
Buried in the Chattanooga National Cemetery, Y, 329
PFC Lancaster was initially buried at the British Guinea, USAF Cemetery, Finschaffen #1.
The Chattanooga Daily Times, 27 August 1944
Pfc. Melvin O. Lancaster, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ike Lancaster, Route 5, Signal Mountain. He was a member of an infantry unit and reported killed in action in New Guinea July 29, the War Department informed his family. He entered the army two years ago and had been overseas since February, 1943. Prior to army duty, he was employed by the Coca-Cola Company in Chattanooga.
He is survived by his parents; two sisters, Mrs. Sarah J. Goff, San Diego, Calif.; Mrs. Bernice Weldon, Pascagoula, Miss.; one brother, Pvt. Joe Lewis Lancaster.
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 1 October 1921
- Date of death: 29 July 1944
- County: Hamilton
- Hometown: Chattanooga
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: Infantry
- Theater: Pacific
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Chattanooga National Cemetery, Chattanooga, Hamilton County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XI, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Melvin O. Lancaster
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.