Died on July 25, 1944, in France. PFC Oliver Raymond Evans KIA near St Lo July 25, 1944 with the Co M, 119 Inf Regt, 30th Inf Division
Buried in Smith-Forbis Cemetery, Oneida, Scott Co, TN.
Oliver, or Harry as he was called by my side of the family, was originally a member of the 254th Inf Regt, 63rd Inf Div. He shipped to England with the Division and at some point was transferred to the 30th Division as a replacement for their combat losses in Normandy. He was KIA by friendly fire July 25, 1944 during the accidental bombing at the start of Operation Cobra.
–Submitted by Jeff Smith
- Rank: Private First Class
- Date of birth: 23 April 1912
- Date of death: 25 July 1944
- County: Scott
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 119th Infantry Regiment, 30th Infantry Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Smith-Forbis Cemetery, Oneida, Scott County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar XVII, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Oliver R. Evans
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.