Pvt Rider was initially buried at the American Cemetery St. Mihiel, Thiacourt, France. He was the last Knoxvillian to die in World War I.
He had been an employee of the Ty-Sa-Man machinery factory.
From Pat Gang’s work-in-progress book on Tennesseans in the Great War (They Did Their Bit: Tennesseans in the Great War) concerning the action Private Rider was involved in:
- Rank: Private
- Date of birth: 21 August 1895
- Date of death: 11 November 1918
- County: Knox
- Hometown: Knoxville
- Service Branch: Army
- Division/Assignment: Company M, 321st Regiment, 81st Division
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War I
- Battles: Grimacourt
- Burial/Memorial Location: Knoxville National Cemetery, Knoxville, Knox County, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar IV, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Oscar Rider
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.