Paul William Clayton was born on 23 July 1916 to Benjamin Franklin Clayton and Laura Josephine “Josie” Shields. Stepson of Samuel Johnson.
Died non Battle 24 January 1945
Son of Benjman Franklin Clayton and Laura Josephine Shields
320th Infantry Regiment
S/Sgt Clayton was initially buried at Solers – Melun, France
The Chattanooga Daily Times, 18 February 1945
Casualties reported yesterday include S/Sgt Paul W. Clayton, 28, son of Mrs. Josie Johnson, 1119 East 33rd Street. Sgt. Clayton was killed in action with an infantry unit in France on Jan. 24. Overseas almost one year, he was employed by the Peerless Woolen Mill before entering the army in December, 1941. He was a brother of Mrs. Edith Vaughn, Mrs. Annie Whaley, Mrs. Katie Goins, Mrs. Anna Wagnon, Ida Harrison, all of Cleveland, Tenn., and John Clayton.
- Rank: Staff Sergeant
- Date of birth: 23 July 1916
- Date of death: 24 January 1945
- County: Hamilton
- Service Branch: Army/Army Air Forces
- Division/Assignment: 320th Infantry Regiment
- Theater: Europe
- Conflict: World War II
- Awards: Purple Heart
- Burial/Memorial Location: Chattanooga National Cemetery, Chattanooga, TN
- Location In Memorial: Pillar X, Middle Panel
- Contact us to sponsor Paul W. Clayton
Click a thumbnail below to view at full size.